The market for software in the construction sector is witnessing rapid growth, forecast to double over the 5 years 2018-2023, driven by technological, economic and institutional change. Key to this is the emerging adoption of BIM as a framework to support efficiency, working practice improvements and new business opportunities across the Design, Construct, Operate lifecycle.
BIM supports collaboration between many different engineering disciplines, including architects, engineers and constructors. The vision is for an accurate and complete digital model of a building, plant or even city – geometry and attributes – to be used for planning, design, construction and then operation over its life.
Key considerations include:
- Prefabrication and off-site construction create new challenges and opportunities
- Design application vendors moving into the construction and operation phases
- Double-digit growth forecast over the next 3 years for Structural CAD applications
- Operations applications fastest-growing market is in APAC, but Design tools market is the largest segment.
- Construction has under-invested in technical software.
- BIM is set to take off with Construct offering highest growth potential.
- BIM research is validated against global employment data.