The ‘Trough of Disillusionment’
It’s been difficult to avoid articles and reports on the industrial ‘Internet of Things’ and Digital Transformation for the past few years, but there isn’t a consensus on the size of the market, or how it will grow in the next few years. In fact, there isn’t even agreement on how to define or segment this market. To provide much needed clarity Cambashi, in consultation with industry partners, has derived a draft market segmentation model – see image below. This comprises nine important, connected ‘Market Areas’ into which most industrial IoT applications can be placed. Along with the underlying IoT technology and Digital Transformation services, this provides a picture of the ‘industrial IoT market’.
Cambashi recently spoke with the CTO of a leading IoT company who wondered if we were moving into the ‘Trough of Disillusionment’. Clearly for this company, and for many others we have spoken with, the upward trend isn’t proceeding with the same initial vigor, and the press isn’t as glowing as it was.
More Industrial IoT articles
The latest articles from Cambashi analysts.
- Cambashi Releases First Industrial IoT/Connected Applications market data Observatory - New study on Industrial IoT released, focusing on Connected Applications. Shows the size and growth of the IIoT market. Also includes case study analysis, segmentation by Market Area and IT vs OT
- The most-read Insights articles of 2018 - The ten most-read articles on Cambashi's Insights blog. They cover BIM, IoT, CAE Simulation and plenty of event reviews.
- SAP gets smart, opens up and shares the fun – Insights from SAP TechEd Barcelona, - Cambashi's view of SAP TechEd Barcelona 2018 - IoT, AI, Machine Learning and Cloud Platforms
- The Market for Industrial IoT and Digital Transformation - Cambashi, in consultation with industry partners, has derived a draft market segmentation model for IIoT and Digital Transformation
- Siemens – momentum and energy - Siemens can describe its strategy in three words: Electrification, Automation, Digitalization. Peter Thorne gives his verdict.
- A bridge for the IoT gap - Peter Thorne discusses how connected devices and digital twins are central to Internet of Things (IoT) and digital transformation projects.
- IBM Analyst Insights conference – ‘From what we can do to what we should do’ - Insights gained from IBM's 2018 Analyst Insights conference, with the themes of research, trust, security, AI, IoT and quantum computing.
- PTC Makes the Right Connections – LiveWorx 2018 - Cambashi's Alan Griffiths gives his impression of PTC's LiveWorx 2018 show. Covering IoT, PLM and Augmented Reality.
- IoT and Digital Transformation at IFS World Conference, Atlanta 2018 - Cambashi's Alan Griffiths gives his highlights from the IFS World conference May 2018 - with emphasis on IoT and Digital Transformation.
- Oracle’s Big Adventure - Alan Griffiths assesses how Oracle is doing on its 3 key objectives...
Industrial IoT in the Press
Cambashi analysts also write for trade journals and and other media as guest experts. A selection of the articles we have written on Industrial IoT and Digital Transformation can be found here.