The ‘Trough of Disillusionment’
It’s been difficult to avoid articles and reports on the industrial ‘Internet of Things’ and Digital Transformation for the past few years, but there isn’t a consensus on the size of the market, or how it will grow in the next few years. In fact, there isn’t even agreement on how to define or segment this market. To provide much needed clarity Cambashi, in consultation with industry partners, has derived a draft market segmentation model – see image below. This comprises nine important, connected ‘Market Areas’ into which most industrial IoT applications can be placed. Along with the underlying IoT technology and Digital Transformation services, this provides a picture of the ‘industrial IoT market’.
Cambashi recently spoke with the CTO of a leading IoT company who wondered if we were moving into the ‘Trough of Disillusionment’. Clearly for this company, and for many others we have spoken with, the upward trend isn’t proceeding with the same initial vigor, and the press isn’t as glowing as it was.
More Industrial IoT articles
The latest articles from Cambashi analysts.
- Exploring the Potential and Challenges of Smart Factories at PTC LiveWorx 2023 - At PTC LiveWorx, Cambashi’s Peter Maskell and Petra Gartzen had the opportunity to explore the potential of Smart Factories. They delved into the experience of a smart factory demonstration at the PTC LiveWorx 2023 conference, highlighting both the potential and notable challenges associated with this technology. During the demonstration, participants were guided through the process …
Exploring the Potential and Challenges of Smart Factories at PTC LiveWorx 2023 Read More »
- The impact of currency fluctuation on the technical software markets - Software providers should be mindful of currency effects when market planning and setting sales targets in regions with strong currency shifts
- Credit Suisse webinar synopsis – industrial IoT & Software market insights - Credit Suisse hosted a webinar with Cambashi industrial IoT and Engineering Software market intelligence to discuss the competitive landscape and market trends in Industrial IoT. This follows a recent publication of Industry Paper by Cambashi on IIoT in conjunction with Credit Suisse. (Cambashi papers on IIoT, Webinar slides and detailed notes available on request). Credit …
Credit Suisse webinar synopsis – industrial IoT & Software market insights Read More »
- 2019’s most-read posts - The most popular new articles of 2019 and some popular classics - spans IoT, BIM, PLM and Simulation
- Cambashi Releases First Industrial IoT/Connected Applications market data Observatory - Press Release, July, 2019 - New study on Industrial IoT released, focusing on Connected Applications. Shows the size and growth of the IIoT market. Also includes case study analysis, segmentation by Market Area and IT vs OT
- The most-read Insights articles of 2018 - The ten most-read articles on Cambashi's Insights blog. They cover BIM, IoT, CAE Simulation and plenty of event reviews.
- SAP gets smart, opens up and shares the fun – Insights from SAP TechEd Barcelona, - Cambashi's view of SAP TechEd Barcelona 2018 - IoT, AI, Machine Learning and Cloud Platforms
- The Market for Industrial IoT and Digital Transformation - Cambashi, in consultation with industry partners, has derived a draft market segmentation model for IIoT and Digital Transformation
- Siemens – momentum and energy - Siemens can describe its strategy in three words: Electrification, Automation, Digitalization. Peter Thorne gives his verdict.
- A bridge for the IoT gap - Peter Thorne discusses how connected devices and digital twins are central to Internet of Things (IoT) and digital transformation projects.
Industrial IoT in the Press
Cambashi analysts also write for trade journals and and other media as guest experts. A selection of the articles we have written on Industrial IoT and Digital Transformation can be found here.